Saturday 2 August 2008

A Week is a long tme ...

Watching Sky UK this morning, it seemed Zinny Brooke could hardly contain himself . He had ants in his pants, and I think I was the same.

Naturally being over here too means I can avoid the nastiest and utterly stupid rantings of some so-called NZ sports ‘writers’, but I still picked up on the undercurrent of derision that seems to permanently float so near the surface of All Black support these days, and it is embarrassing.

Yes, they did suck last week, and yes, certain players have convincingly played themselves out of the 22 ... even the 30. The coaches also got it horribly wrong to the point where the NZRFU HR Dept was feeling the heat, and we got hijacked in an ELV frenzy.

The All Blacks have lost crucially experienced players and are rebuilding. If Deans had been given the reigns, would it be any different two games in? I doubt it. In a choice between a complete clean out or continuity, I know what I would choose given a pretty successful 3-4 years ... bar (massive) the Cardiff blip.

Well done All Blacks. Some awesome individual efforts there, and so much attitude was brought today with the forwards committing and blowing out Wallabies everywhere. Keep it up, and please improve even more.

I don’t see why how the way the game was played today can’t a blueprint moving forward. We exhibited all our usual speed, width and quick hands, but it was tempered with a lot more control and a consideration of options, often followed by the correct strategic choice; Carter kicked much better tonight, and steadied us with territorial gains nicely. Plus the scrum was used more and (quelle horreur!) we attacked the Wallaby lineout with great effect.

I think the game in Sydney was turned into a shocking showcase for the ELVs in Test rugby - it was scrag, and that playsed into the hands of ‘footy’ style Australia. Eden Park was a game of rugby, and a thrilling 60 minutes.

We still have to dominate the other 20 minutes though to deserve the reputation of invincibility we so willingly apply to our beloved All Blacks. Less football-like 5 minute subs please!

And Manawatu beat Canterbury as well! First time since when, 1982 or something. Done in style too, hoaxing the touch judges into not awarding the final penalty that would have given it to the red and blacks. The greatest trick pulled by the green and whites since our ‘ball up the jumper’ ploy back in the Ranfurly Shield glory days of the late 70s.

GO, GO, MANAWATU!!!

1 comment:

phillarilla said...

Lu - totally agree with you. Why have we not been attacking lineouts for the last ten years? Sheesh - I don't know. But it has always been the logical choice, yet we've shyed away like nothing else. (I'm still blaming Jack and Hansen).

Yes - the subs. There's nothing I hate more that seeing Lauaki run on with half an hour to spare. That's a thirty point handicap for the other team as far as I'm concerned. (Forgive my dislike of Lauaki - but feck - I DISLIKE him immensely).

I can't comment on the press in the UK after two All Black losses. I avoid the Internet at all costs in those situations. I wouldn't let them have the pleasure or give Stephen Jones the satisfaction.

However - personally: I think last weekend was the best All Black turn-out since the beginning of 2007 against quality opposition. Seriously - can you remember us playing better in the last 18 months?

I just can't understand why we only come up with the goods when we have our backs to the wall? Can't we do it in a bloody quarter or semi-final in a certain tournament?

The best thing about losing two on the trot, is that when we do win (by a 30 point thrashing) - the high is so, so sweet.

Rub it in if you can Lu to all those smug Stephen Jones supporters.